THE HAILING FREQUENCY

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby elko » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:13 am

That pretty much makes sense - But surely as most of his work is handed out to subsections, it's not as much as it may seem? Obviously I know it is not an easy job, but I still don't see what he actually does day to day. Or did.

I didn't realise there was a general election upcoming, I'm sure the US Election build up lasted months and months, but I've not heard anything about ours. Surely despite this kerfuffle, Labour will walk it? And do you agree with the general consenus that a vote for the Lib Dems is a wasted vote?

This will be presumably the last election before I get voting rights, so maybe I should take an interest. On the other hand, one vote really doesn't make a difference, despite what people say. Sorry, I'm rambling here...
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:43 am

As with you, my family have all voted Labour. To me it just seems a matter of principle - Labour remains the working class party, and for that reason I'm happy to vote for them. Let's be honest - who you (or I) vote for doesn't actually have an effect on who runs the country, so whilst there are some parties I would never vote for, I don't think I will ever look too deeply into just why I am voting for Labour.

So, if Labour aren't going to walk it, do you not agree that they will at least win it?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Still Ill » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:06 am

I have to tell you I'm learning lots just reading this thread. The politics is a little confusing, but very interesting and it's all funny. That's what this thread is for. Marr once compared Chryssie Hynde as being as obsessed about the English as much as he was obsessed about all things American. I feel like her sometimes. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> Credit goes to The Smiths. They started it all, and there I had to go finding out where names and places and stuff from their lyrics came from. I feel like a student studying abroad! I have more things bookmarked from overseas than I do here. I hadn't heard Robert Burns' name since I read Eddi Reader recorded an album of his work, to music of course. And I didn't know Hindley was no longer around. And that people from Scottland live in cabins and hike a lot-- just joking! My current slight obsession with TCS has made me more curious about Scottland. And what was it, porridge cakes?! elko, Sorry to hear about your ref write-up. You don't really think it was referring to you, do you? And so what! Football issues are the same over there as they are here, apparently. Ok, now I'm rambling, with nothing really important to contribute here except a response.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:10 am

Ok, I misspelled Scotland. I knew it didn't look right. <!--emo&:ph34r:-->Image<!--endemo-->
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:10 pm

Not sure what to say to be honest, only that I should say something. So, the ref's thing was definately about me, but I've gotten over it because that guy was a bit of a divot.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all, and also a Happy New Year as well. Anyone doing anything exciting?
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:42 pm

Not at all bad. Had a bit of a band practise today which is always nice, and our singer seems okay, if a little egotistical (aren't they all?). Christmas is in the air at last, and I've been listening to Half Man Half Biscuit for the last three hours. Are you a fan?
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:01 am

Back Again In The DHSS was their first album, followed by Back Again In The DHSS. The Trumpton Riots is such a fantastic song, and who could dislike anything titled Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus? They're still going, gigging infrequently and they do have a fairly recent release which ain't at all bad.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:18 am

As you can see, I made a typo - put the same album name twice. The order you said was right, and no I haven't heard that song. I'll try and check it out as soon as I get some money - after Christmas basically.
I'm not sure how old you are, but did you ever watch Trumpton? Only my dad remembers it, and while I know you're quite his age yet, I'm sure it's possible you saw it. Apparently it was great, and seeing as the aforementioned song contains loads of references to it, I suppose it might be interesting. My dad seemed to like it, despite not being a fan of guitar music in general (other than Bowie/Beatles etc, he likes mostly funk/soul and classical malarkey).
elko
Site Admin

Postby Noonan McKane » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:49 am

Duty calls; Have to turn in. I'll be back on Xmas eve....
i shouted out 'who killed the kennedys?' when after all it was you and me
Noonan McKane
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:49 am

I always thogh it was 'Hugh, Pugh...'? Obviously you know best. I'm sure you'll find the Trumpton Riots lyrics are full of mentions to characters but I can't find them. Apparently John Peel was a pretty big fan, which is probably a good sign. Which program had the windmill?
elko
Site Admin

Postby girl_afraid » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:05 am

It's Pugh, Pugh, Barley, McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, and Grubb.

I get it ALL the time because my last name is Pugh.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:10 pm

Well, merry christmas all! Hope everyone had fun, I sure have, despite getting up at the ungodly hour of 7.30am (SEVEN THIRTY). I'm now the proud owner of an iPod, which I've spent most of the day attempting to fill. Anyway, best wishes, etc.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:29 pm

It's an MP3 player. I'm not sure how much you know about such things, but basically you download/transfer from CD music onto your PC and then put it on the iPod. Mine holds 20gb, which is around 5000 songs, about teh size of a cassette tape I would say.

<a href='http://www.apple.com/ipod/' target='_blank'>http://www.apple.com/ipod/</a>

Very classy little thing.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Sat Dec 25, 2004 10:39 pm

Pass. I did see a very interesting accessory though, allowing you to play the iPod in the car:- <a href='http://www.xtrememac.com/adapters/cassette_adapter.shtml' target='_blank'>http://www.xtrememac.com/adapters/cassette_adapter.shtml</a> . There is so much stuff available for it, I would say that there probably is something to link it to yer hi-fi, but I haven't looked into it all that much.
elko
Site Admin

Postby elko » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:38 pm

Sounds great, if not particularly tasteful. Anyway, gotta be up with the damn dawncrackers again tomorrow, so I'll catch you another time.
elko
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat