THE HAILING FREQUENCY

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Re: THE HAILING FREQUENCY

Postby chicken » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:58 am

Boxguy wrote:http://twitter.com/ohhdl

It's for real! Talk about total awesomeness.

I don't know if that's "total" awesomeness or not. :ugeek: I suspect the Buddha would say anything "total" is impossible :D

:lol:
Nice find. HH is a very high guy. I have a pic of him visiting the "Western Wall"...it looks nice juxtaposed with the similar pic of John Paul II.

On another note, it looks like I may have to pursue formal channels as a consequence of being accused of unethical behavior at work last week. What a pain in the neck! At least I know I have the full and total support of every single person I spoke to today on the issue (which is ten people....and YES, I was a very busy monkey today :lol: ).
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Noonan McKane » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:05 pm

elko wrote:
Noonan McKane wrote:Explain to me the philosophy of veganism. Because I'm slow.

I dig that vegetarians don't want to eat meat. I'm supposing the theory is if they can convince the entire world to do same, no more cattle will be killed for food. Fine. Following so far, but worry about connotations of cattle species breeding unfarmed, essentially surrended to the 'wild' again, wandering onto the railway and road, unsure of their place in the 'food chain'...

Cows and sheep would be extinct inside 50 years.
Veganism, though: We couldn't milk them, either?! Hells bells. Then they'll be even easier for 3 badgers to chase, trap and eat!

I don't think it's particularly a 'moral' decision, to not eat meat. I'd have to disagree with M, over "It's not natural, normal or kind" Natural? It's only bleedin' Darwinism in it's rawest form, is all. It's actually 'nature'. In any given group of 100 wild minks, there aren't 8 or 10 of them who stand around going "Have you ever considered the agony a field mouse suffers when you bite it in half and give your babies the best bit? No you don't!!! Field mice are minks, too, you know!!!" There just aren't. And 'normal?' The alternatively lifestyled don't tend to bandy the 'N' word around much, usually. But among almost all of humankind, eating meat is as 'normal' as the clock going from 12 round to 12 again.

However, if it's a flag you feel you must gather under, I've made you up a slogan:

"BabyBel! Rot In Hell! And Camembaert And Brie As Well!!!"

You could picket school canteens, with placards saying "The Almighty Will Judge YOU, Whores Of Dairylea"..

Mmmm. That's good stuff. I could really shout for these guys......

I don't think you can say it's natural - what's natural about keeping thousands of cows or chickens cooped up so they can hardly move and giving them hormones so they produce literally cripplingly large amounts of milk, or keeping the lights on constantly so they don't sleep and so lay more eggs?

What's natural is eating for survival, i.e. a tribe hunting for the food they need, but we have no reason to kill for food. Letting cows back into a natural food chain or circle of life or whatever would be far more humane than what we currently put them through. And I don't think you can use animals as a substitute for human thinking - is rape natural?

There's a very convincing argument for veganism preventing climate change as well, although obviously that depends if you believe in it...

Agreed: There's nothing at all natural about intensive battery farming. But I have to disagree with the notion we have no reason to kill for food. We are, right reason or none, 'natural' predators of cows, pigs and sheep. Unfarmed, as I mentioned, all of these animals would disappear through natural selection.
And no, damn it, of course rape isn't natural. Don't be so hysterical. Is the primary concern of a rapist the procreation of his species? Of course not. A lion pinning a lioness down and forcibly impregnating it is entirely natural. "Rape" is the name we give to the crime of sexually assaulting a person, and which would, if we were anything like civilised, carry exactly the same mandatory penalty as murder.

Is there a minimum size to the living creatures who have 'the right to life'? Are all bacteria god's creatures too? Lice? Rats? The AIDS virus? We obviously can't wipe out entire species, because they're all there for a reason, but sometimes we have to be able to kill some of them, and not be called 'murderers'......
i shouted out 'who killed the kennedys?' when after all it was you and me
Noonan McKane
Smiths Nut!

Postby Noonan McKane » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:10 am

Awwwww, shite. Let's not you and I fall out, Elko.

Look: I've got you a present. Classy giftware for the discerning Oxford student:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FaQK48yiQlM/S ... img031.jpg
Noonan McKane
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:29 am

Hey guys! I am 9 hours from having surgery...again... keep me in your thoughts!
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Boxguy » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:50 am

Pashernate_Lover wrote:Hey guys! I am 9 hours from having surgery...again... keep me in your thoughts!

That we will, Pashy!
Boxguy
Site Admin

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:14 pm

Best of luck and steady recovery, Pashy. How many surgeries do you still need? I hope this suffering is coming to an end very soon, nobody should be going through this and especially not someone so full of life and plans ...
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Noonan McKane wrote:Awwwww, shite. Let's not you and I fall out, Elko.

Hey, no danger of that. Thanks for my present! Guess what, we had a Scotch in our house last week, he was from Kilmarnock. He came down to play some gigs with us. They're not all as angry as they seem, you know. In fact he was positively nice.

All the best Pashy, hope the surgery does what it is supposed to and that you are back to being annoyed by middle-class brats as soon as possible!
elko
Site Admin

Postby Noonan McKane » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Belated good wishes, Pashy. Hope all went well and you're back on your feet again.

Unless of course you were having your feet amputated, in which case please excuse my insensitivity and I hope you raise a good price on ebay for all your shoes.

**TOP TIP: Kitchen Showroom Owners: Don't throw out unused packets of corn plasters. Coated with varnish, they make ideal artificial 'Cheerios', for use in displays of breakfast tables. Surplus sanitary towels, painted to look like pastry, make very convincing mock 'Pop Tarts', too.**

Elko: Glad the Scotch who came to play was a nice one. A Kilmarnockite, eh? You've been lucky there. Mostly foul mouthed drunken sociopaths in Kilmarnock. And that's the posh schemes. There's no sanitation or mains electricity and adult literacy is low, at 3%, a full 5% below the average for the rest of Scotland. Perpetual darkness and complete lack of street names or house numbers has led to inbreeding being rife, and to most Kilmarno-pudlians being born with no knee joints, and resembling the funny wee man with the monocle on the famous "Johnnie Walker" whisky label. Johnnie Walkers distillery is the town's biggest employer, with 800 Kilmarnunians (or 'Kilmarnish' people) working at the plant. 400 lick the labels and stick them to the bottles, and the other 400 then peel them off and put them on right way up.

Only kiddin'. That was just the Wikipedia listing for Killie. Some of it's inaccurate. I went to Kilmarnock College, me. The museum and library is called The Dick Institute.
No, honest. Who was the Kilmarneranian lad? Musical sort? Decent studio in Killie, called Shabby Road. Was started by The Trashcan Sinatras, an Irvine band which contained Eddi Reader's (out of that Fairground Attraction) brother Frank, who changed his name to 'Read' because he was fed up of being asked "Are you Eddi Reader out of that Fairground Attraction's brother?"
Noonan McKane
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:14 am

Noonan McKane wrote:Belated good wishes, Pashy. Hope all went well and you're back on your feet again.

Unless of course you were having your feet amputated, in which case please excuse my insensitivity and I hope you raise a good price on ebay for all your shoes.

**TOP TIP: Kitchen Showroom Owners: Don't throw out unused packets of corn plasters. Coated with varnish, they make ideal artificial 'Cheerios', for use in displays of breakfast tables. Surplus sanitary towels, painted to look like pastry, make very convincing mock 'Pop Tarts', too.**

Elko: Glad the Scotch who came to play was a nice one. A Kilmarnockite, eh? You've been lucky there. Mostly foul mouthed drunken sociopaths in Kilmarnock. And that's the posh schemes. There's no sanitation or mains electricity and adult literacy is low, at 3%, a full 5% below the average for the rest of Scotland. Perpetual darkness and complete lack of street names or house numbers has led to inbreeding being rife, and to most Kilmarno-pudlians being born with no knee joints, and resembling the funny wee man with the monocle on the famous "Johnnie Walker" whisky label. Johnnie Walkers distillery is the town's biggest employer, with 800 Kilmarnunians (or 'Kilmarnish' people) working at the plant. 400 lick the labels and stick them to the bottles, and the other 400 then peel them off and put them on right way up.

Only kiddin'. That was just the Wikipedia listing for Killie. Some of it's inaccurate. I went to Kilmarnock College, me. The museum and library is called The Dick Institute.
No, honest. Who was the Kilmarneranian lad? Musical sort? Decent studio in Killie, called Shabby Road. Was started by The Trashcan Sinatras, an Irvine band which contained Eddi Reader's (out of that Fairground Attraction) brother Frank, who changed his name to 'Read' because he was fed up of being asked "Are you Eddi Reader out of that Fairground Attraction's brother?"

He was a musical sort, he plays as The Paraffins (http://www.myspace.com/theparaffins) and came down to do a couple of gigs with us. He described Kilmarnock pretty much as you did, and mentioned The Trashcan Sinatras. He runs a little studio in Kilmarnock (or thereabouts), no idea if it's the one you are talking about. Just a little practice room with recording stuff apparently.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Noonan McKane » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:18 am

It might well be Shabby Road. It IS very small, but had good gear (when I knew it, like.)

Kilmarnock also used to have a brilliant 'teaching' studio, called Studio One, which taught courses in recording tech. and the desk and all the kit was pure world class. Had three totally amazing rooms. Sadly went bust. Our band managed to wangle recording 3 numbers in it, made us sound like The Who or something, pure awesome. I had the most horrendous headcold the day we went in to do it and it was the one and only time I sang in tune for a whole session. I'd previously not even managed to do it for a whole song. Was so great.

1991. Seems forever and ever ago. Today is my birthday. I'm 42. Is that old?
Noonan McKane
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:25 am

Happy Birthday then, Noonan! You aren't old... unless you wear socks to bed, then you are ancient :-P
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:04 am

Pashernate_Lover wrote:Happy Birthday then, Noonan! You aren't old... unless you wear socks to bed, then you are ancient :-P

42 isn't old, it's the answer to life, the universe, and everything.
Incidentally, I do not wear socks to bed!!!!! (I only say that because soon I'll be 43 :o )

Pashy, how did your surgery go? (I kept you in mind and saw good omens that day. :wink: ) How's the recovery going?
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:54 am

chicken wrote:
Pashernate_Lover wrote:Happy Birthday then, Noonan! You aren't old... unless you wear socks to bed, then you are ancient :-P

42 isn't old, it's the answer to life, the universe, and everything.
Incidentally, I do not wear socks to bed!!!!! (I only say that because soon I'll be 43 :o )

Pashy, how did your surgery go? (I kept you in mind and saw good omens that day. :wink: ) How's the recovery going?

The recovery is not so good. I was pacing around the house on the phone with my boy today when I looked at my shirt in the mirror as I passed it to see it turning red with blood- then to my arm, then the floor...all of which were fairly bloody. Got that cleaned up and taped up, cleaned it off of the floor in the bathroom and kitchen...wish I could have cleaned it off of my pillow and promptly bled through the dressing. It has been a few hours of sugary and salty things, tons of liquid and cleaning and the bleeding looks like it might be done, or at least approaching being done and if it doesn't stop my housemates are taking me to the hospital. Its a freaking mess- hopefully it will be the last one though.
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:46 pm

Pashernate_Lover wrote:The recovery is not so good. I was pacing around the house on the phone with my boy today when I looked at my shirt in the mirror as I passed it to see it turning red with blood- then to my arm, then the floor...all of which were fairly bloody. Got that cleaned up and taped up, cleaned it off of the floor in the bathroom and kitchen...wish I could have cleaned it off of my pillow and promptly bled through the dressing. It has been a few hours of sugary and salty things, tons of liquid and cleaning and the bleeding looks like it might be done, or at least approaching being done and if it doesn't stop my housemates are taking me to the hospital. Its a freaking mess- hopefully it will be the last one though.

:shock:
:cry:
holy cow! I'm sorry to hear that friend, truly. That sucks! It's good you have housemates you can count on, that's really important in your recovery. Once you work your way through all this fiasco, maybe a brilliant and heart-wrenching play could be written about it? You know you have the skills to do that...and do it well.

On another note:
I discovered today one of our Japanese students is a bit of a violinist in his own right! If only Boxguy were still here, they could get together and jam!! (If one "jams" on a violin, that is :P )

On yet another note:
The Dean of my college has been in a really difficult position lately with budget issues and malcontent faculty making absurd accusations about him. He sent out a lengthy email yesterday that was 15 bullets of "rumor control." After reading it, I felt really bad for him. On impulse I sent him an email saying there are some folks who appreciate what he does for us. I also said if he ever wants a bit of a "re-charge" he should feel free to attend my psych of religion class whenever he wants. I was just trying to be cordial and supportive and did not think he'd jump at the invitation....but... :shock: ..."Thank you, Joel. I'm going to find a hole in my schedule so I can come to your class and observe." :shock: :o :shock:
So....uuuhhh....it looks like the Dean of my college is going to come visit my class! Me and my big fat mouth! :P :P

:lol:
Oh deary me...

Pash, you take care of yourself or else!!
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:31 pm

Oh Pash, that sounds like a creepy scene, but don't worry, it's just blood, we are not used to see the red very often. I have had some similar experiences in my life post-surgery. Be patient and don't lose your spiritual strenght. You are like a piece of sun, a light in person.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat