[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - The Simpsons appreciation thread

The Simpsons appreciation thread

Anything you wanna say, say it!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue May 30, 2006 11:05 am

Is there anyone else here who is a loyal viewer of the US' greatest export product ever?

I am usually not into this sort of sitcoms/humor shows, but am happy to make an exception for them. The Simpsons are so different from all the rest: the humor is much more diverse (from easy-to-swallow stuff such as Barney burping or Homer scratching his crotch in church, to the more intelligent humor that we find in their political stabbings etc), the characters of the show are very well-thought and despite the bizarreness they're even representative to an actual community, and the show is about the only American TV show that dares mockery towards the own American society (such as the episodes in which the over-influence of media is tackled, the episodes in which court cases for the most ridiculous even are started, ...)

Any other fans of this brilliant show?

And who's your favourite character?
What are your favourite Simpsons quotes?
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Tue May 30, 2006 11:48 am

i love the simpsons, i watch it quite often. i agree about the humour - sometimes it's obvious and everyone can understand it, other times it's very subtle and satirical. lots of comedy shows mock other cultures, but the simpsons is brave as it mocks its own country's culture too. it's also full of great quotes - there was an article on the bbc website last week about philosophical quotes from the characters, particularly homer.

helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue May 30, 2006 3:44 pm

It is undoubtedly one of the funniest shows ever, and deservedly the most important and influential comedy of the last twenty years. CP you're quite right, the genius is that there's humour on all levels, from traditional cartoon-style violence to biting satire - everyone I know loves the Simpsons.

I guess my favourite character would be Homer, but then that's a bit obvious. I also have a penchant for Disco Stu - he should be featured far more.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Bref » Tue May 30, 2006 5:53 pm

<!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Book Antiqua--><span style="font-family:Book Antiqua"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial Narrow--><span style="font-family:Arial Narrow"><!--/fonto--><!--fonto:Arial--><span style="font-family:Arial"><!--/fonto-->Half of the time we're gone but we don't know where,
we don't know where.
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Bref
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue May 30, 2006 7:37 pm

Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Tue May 30, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Rodchenko » Wed May 31, 2006 11:40 am

The Simpsons is <!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->pure genius<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->.... The best tv programme available?
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby tca2005 » Wed May 31, 2006 5:32 pm

Channel 4 showed the one where Troy Mclure marries Aunt Selma yesterday - I'm only mentioning this because it's got one of my top 5 Simpson's moments in it - the Planet of the Apes "Dr.Zaius Dr.Zaius" song complete with break-dancing. :lol: I can't explain why this is so funny, but it's not just me a lot of people seem to love that scene.
Last edited by tca2005 on Wed May 31, 2006 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make no mistake my friend, your pointless life will end.
tca2005
Advanced

Postby scavenger » Wed May 31, 2006 11:34 pm

Oh, but don't mention love
I'd hate the pain of the strain all over again
A rush and a push and the land that
We stand on is ours
It has been before
So why can't it be now?
And people who are weaker than you or I
They take what they want from life
scavenger
Supreme

Postby Rodchenko » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:26 pm

If I say "Mount Carlmore". What do you say? :D
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:22 pm

You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:07 pm

helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:56 pm

I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:09 pm

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby tca2005 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:03 pm

Last edited by tca2005 on Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make no mistake my friend, your pointless life will end.
tca2005
Advanced

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:19 am

I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Next

Return to General Chat