Songs You Hate

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:42 pm

i wouldnt use hate as well:

how soon is now
half a person
golden lights
strech out and wait
well i wonder

these just dont do it for me to be honest
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

Postby tallulahtaurus » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:37 am

Barbarism begins at home - I can see why Marr didn't like it his point about it being composed of no real emotion is valid but it is so groovy and funky and unuual compared to the rest of the smiths and I absolutely love it.

London I love too, the escalating drum bit (my music terminology is rubbish) is great.

My hates (and I hate them with a passion) - I've voiced them elsewhere but I despise <span style='color:purple'>Girlfriend in a Coma</span>, <span style='color:purple'>There is a Light</span>, <span style='color:purple'>Ask</span> and <span style='color:purple'>Frankly Mr Shankly </span>I don't even hate Golden Lights as much as them four I'm afraid... as for all the others I find them delectable... each useful to me at a different times...

I really want to hear I Keep mine hidden, the lyrics sound great - I may have to buy the vinyl it is on soon... ebay is great!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby girl_afraid » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:20 pm

Hmmm, I Keep Mine Hidden IS a good song, the lyrics are good, but Morrissey kinda ruins it by doing this strange milkman-esque whistle, which reduces the tone of the whole thing.

I don't hate any Smiths songs (not even Work Is A Four-Letter Word!), But I'm not a big fan of Golden Lights. I quite like the chorus and the lyrics, but it fades too quickly (God, I'm nitpicking here), and I'm not that keen on Girlfriend In A Coma either, I think it's just not really particularly good. I also don't like Death At One's Elbow a huge amount although I'm not entirely sure why!

I used to not like Miserable Lie or Barbarism very much, but I love Barbarism now following my MIM epiphany, and I also really like Miserable Lie. I'd say the weakest track on the debut was actually I Don't Owe You Anything, which is still harsh since I adore most of that track, especially the lyrics.
<a href='http://www.livejournal.com/users/fishnet_monkey/' target='_blank'>-click-</a>

I decree today that life is simply taking and not giving
England is mine, it owes me a living
But ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
Oh, ask me why and I'll spit in your eye
But we cannot cling to the old dreams anymore
No, we cannot cling to those dreams
Does the body rule the mind or does the mind rule the body?
I dunno...
Under the iron bridge we kissed
And although I ended up with sore lips
It just wasn't like the old days anymore
No, it wasn't like those days
Am I still ill...?
girl_afraid
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:05 pm

Aaah I liked the whistle on I keep mine hidden... I find myself whistling it on checkout at work... I'm that sad!!

I think I keep mine hidden is lovely... I paticularly like the use your loaf at the end I have been listening to it on repeat since I downloaded it a couple of days ago!!

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby billy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:18 am

hate is too strong a word but how soon is now leaves me pretty cold, as does meat is murder and golden lights.
"i dreamt about you last night and i fell out of bed twice"
billy

Postby electric_russ » Mon May 16, 2005 9:25 pm

golden lights is my least favorite. awful
There's a mean bone in my body.
electric_russ
Advanced

Postby Beorn_J » Thu May 19, 2005 2:52 am

paint a vulgar picture and death at one's elbow

the first isnt a bad song really, but just gots old quick i think.

how soon is a friggen awesome song! <!--emo&<_<-->Image<!--endemo-->

dont make me send you hate mail!! <!--emo&:angry:-->Image<!--endemo-->

<!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Beorn_J
Supreme

Postby this_charming_girl » Fri May 27, 2005 6:20 pm

what?! anyone who has said miserable lie go and listen to it on repeat for a while and you will love it!

and also how soon is now, that used to anoy me a little towards the end but ahhh i love it so much now!!

hmm i think the one i like the least is meat is murder, cant really think of any others, they all have their merits!
Eligible, not too stupid,
intelligible and cute as cupid,
knowledgeable,but not always right
salvageable, and free for the night.

<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/Stefi/?chartstyle=FortheGirls" target="_blank">Image</a>
this_charming_girl
Smiths Nut!

Postby czgibson » Tue May 31, 2005 11:31 pm

Golden Lights - nuff said.

I love the sound that is Meat Is Murder but there's only one problem with it - the lyrics. Fair enough, make the case for vegetarianism if you want, but at least use a logical argument! These lines get to me:

It's death for no reason
and death for no reason is murder.

Surely when someone harvests a plant (fruit, veg, whatever) that plant dies. It dies for the same reason an animal dies - someone wants to eat it. Is that murder?

Apart from those blemishes, in my view everything else by the Smiths is nothing short of perfect, and should be included on the National Curriculum forthwith.
czgibson

Postby tallulahtaurus » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:00 pm

I agree with you regarding the lyrics to Meat they make no earthly sense nor does Morrisseys claim that meat doesn't taste good until you apply seasoning and all these other things (a la Jonathon Ross)

cos I mean

Potatoes direct from the ground aren't very bleeding tasty either are they??? stupid nonsense illogical argument that gets him nowhere...I think the plight of the animals is whats inportant...but then I speak as a meat eater, so...!!

I've already staked my claim for the udnerappreciation of How Soon si Now I find it hard to think that people hate it and yet like Girlfirend in a Coma.... but opinion is just that and everybody has one

tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby Miserable Liar » Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-fieldingmellish+May 22 2004, 01:22 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (fieldingmellish @ May 22 2004, 01:22 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I've never liked "Barbarism Begins At Home," mainly due to Andy Rourke's slap bass, which always reminds me of the Seinfeld theme tune. Not a good thing. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Grrrrrrrrrrr, I love Seinfeld hehe
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:06 pm

i liked hand in glove at first but i don't like it at all now... i can't qutie describe it, but i get a slightly ill feeling when i listen to the intro. it just makes me nervous and i don't know why! i don't like panic either, purely because of the little kids voices in the background. it irritates me. a lot! i haven't heard lots of their songs though so i don't have many that i don't like.
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:44 pm

I've you've not heard a lot of their songs, you might like the File Sharing thread, not many studio album tracks on there, but rarities you almost certainly won't have heard <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

Yes Matthew, Seinfeld is classic, but c'mon, the theme tune is so naff!
elko
Site Admin

Postby Miserable Liar » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:22 am

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jun 1 2005, 09:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jun 1 2005, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I've you've not heard a lot of their songs, you might like the File Sharing thread, not many studio album tracks on there, but rarities you almost certainly won't have heard <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

Yes Matthew, Seinfeld is classic, but c'mon, the theme tune is so naff! <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeh but its funkeh!
I've got shitloads of Seinfeld on my comp as it is, might watch some later.
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:16 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Jun 1 2005, 09:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Jun 1 2005, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I've you've not heard a lot of their songs, you might like the File Sharing thread, not many studio album tracks on there, but rarities you almost certainly won't have heard <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->

<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
<!--emo&B)-->Image<!--endemo--> right well i'm off to find that! thank you darling <!--emo&:guitar:-->Image<!--endemo-->
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths