Can you remember the first time....

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:43 pm

i'm smiling at everybody's stories! <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

i have these two memories of what feel like the first time i heard them, but can't remember which came first!i've been debating for ages with myself and i just don't know. one of them was, as someone else said before, i heard the tune off charmed (how soon is now?), and i was messing about on the computer and found we had the song, by the smiths. so i was playing it, only it was actually the version off charmed and not the smiths one at all so i went for ages thinking that this was the smiths, and even playing it on guitar not realising i was playing it slightly differently. then about a year later in the car there had been a poll on the radio about which classic song were they going to play, and it had been nailed down to how soon is now?, and some other song , i forget now <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo--> it's not important hehe. and i was going come on, how soon is now! which won, and they started playing it, and i was like huh? this doesn't sound right.. and i didn't like that version for a while, but then i loved it too <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

but if i'm mistaken that's actually the second time i heard them, and it could have been the time me and my sister were in the car and she was listening to them with her headphones and asked if i wanted to listen. so i did. it was the queen is dead, and she put on frankly mr shankly which i thought was really weird but had a great tune, and then she put on some girls are bigger than others which we spent ages laughing too at the back of the car, much to the confusion of everyone else. when we got back i asked her if i could copy it was she was like sure!

and that could also be how i was properly introduced!
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:17 pm

im 18 and i only discovered the smiths last autumn, around my 18th birthday. id heard of them before and they were one of those bands that id always been meaning to check out, like radiohead or the cure or the beatles, but id never really got round to checking them out. i had a vague knowledge of who they were, id heard of morrissey and marr, and i knew a few song titles, but that was it - i didnt know any of their songs. i had vague memories of seeing them on TOTP2 (when they show old footage of top of the pops) and i remembered moz with his quiff and flowers and i thought he was cool cos he was a bit unusual, and ditto the music, altho i couldnt really hear much of the music cos my mum was talking (she always talks when im watching tv and i cant hear the telly! its so annoying but im polite so i never tell her to stop. what is most annoying is she seems to do most of the talking when theres a song i like on tv, she doesnt talk so much when theres a song i hate!) i think it was heaven knows im miserable now or this charming man, it was one of the famous performances with flowers. so that was my first encounter with the smiths in my childhood.
years later its about autumn 2004 and im at my gran's flat watching kerrang-tv and theres hundred reasons' cover of how soon is now?, and i liked hundred reasons at the time and id always been meaning to check out the smiths, so i bought a tribute album, including that song, off ebay. soon after that i saw moz singing first of the gang on mtv2 and i thought about getting some of his stuff too. then i saw the smiths' version of HSIN? and absolutely loved it: at the time i often videoed stuff i liked off the tv, but when that came on i was so transfixed, trying not to miss any of it - i didnt want to miss a moment of the vid or the song - that i didnt move, so i didnt move to find a blank video or the "record" button or anything. i thought it was totally awesome: the lyrics, the sound, the way they moved on stage, everything! i decided that i HAD to get that song, and quickly, and that it was about time i properly checked out the smiths!
so the next day i went to the library and got out a CD called "the very best of the smiths" and i loved every song on it, it was simply the best CD id ever heard. i then got "you are the quarry" and "suedehead" off ebay (brand new yet very cheap prices... thats the way i like it!). since then ive got every smiths/moz record i can find!
sorry that was a long story!
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:54 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-helmoz+Aug 12 2005, 02:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (helmoz @ Aug 12 2005, 02:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->sorry that was a long story!<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
But an interesting one! <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

As for me, back in 1996 I was sitting in the sofa and watching the French music channel MCM - they have this program called Integral, where they play a sellection of song by one artist/band. So on that day it was The Smiths - by then I had never heard them, but I had heard of them - I had read articles in music magazines, mentioning them with great respect. So I was curious. And even decided to video-tape the program (before having heard a thing) - it must have been destiny <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
The featured songs were I Started Something, There Is A Light, Panic, Ask, Shoplifters and Girlfriend In A Coma. I watched the videos - for the first time in my life obviously - and they made almost no impact on me. Luckily I had them recorded and played them again - the second time I was in love with The Smiths. (And still am, nine years later.)
At that time albums by them could not be found where I live, so for years (till last year actually) those were the only Smiths' songs I had (well, I managed to add the How Soon Is Now and What Difference... videos to my collection) - and on video-tape, meaning "quality far from good". The situation was not pleasant at all - but had one good feature - I was discovering The Smiths slowly, for many years, thus always having something "new" to feed my appetite <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby moz manic » Sun Aug 14, 2005 1:59 pm

The first time i heard morrissey was when the killers did a cover of why dont you find out for yourself for a radio show around the time IBEH was first being aired
<span style='color:purple'>"Morrissey and Marr gave me choice"</span>

moz manic
Regular

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:32 pm

well the very very very first time I heard them was when I didn't know it was them.....the distinctive music of how soon is now used to be used on a mtv advert so when I was like 9 or 10 and waking up far too early to watch tv before school I heard it then repeatedly and was always struck by how creepy the sound was

it stunned me back then and I loved it.....but of course there was no singing and no id so I never knew who it was <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->

flash foward a while and I caught myself watching VH1 with ma and this charming man came on and i remember writing on "the smiths" on my hand meaning to remind myself to investigate them because I must've heard this charming man before and liked i finally knew the groups name......result

and then flash a couple of weeks my best friend at the time was humming a song in his car and said it was by the smiths - who he'd recently got into after years of writing them off as miserable wankers.... so he played me hatful of hollow copied it for me and I finally realised on the bus to work the same day that the song i was in love with when i was a child was called how soon is now....gave me chills....then i fell for heaven knows in abig way and i my life was morrissey and marrs.... <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby ShanklyFrankly » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:50 am

Well I'll have to admit to being a very old git now but I first saw The Smiths in August 1983 supporting The Gang of Four at The Lyceum in London. This was just before This Charming Man came out so I'd never heard of them but from that first night they blew me away. Went home singing all the songs after just one hearing and looked out for them from then on.

Was lucky enough to see them many times over the next few years, one of the best being when they played at the Poly I was at (NELP) - the "stage" was only about 3 feet high and Morrissey ended up walking around the audience whilst he sang (first night they played "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" according to the excellent Songs That Saved Our Lives.) Took home some daffodils that night too!

Probably the best band I have ever seen live (along with James - who I first saw supporting them on the Meat is Murder tour - and New Order) and very obsessed with them for a long time! Going all misty eyed at all the memories now.......

Nice to see someone else rates Neutral Milk Hotel! Easily the most interesting record (can I still call it that?) of recent years, although Ross doesn't agree (but then again he likes James Blunt!)
ShanklyFrankly

Postby Grim O'Grady » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:12 pm

I must have seen them on totp back in '84 but it wasn't until a year later that I actually listened to them, a friend had a copied cassette he was listening to & we was just nattering when 'Suffer Little Children' came on, I just shut up, froze & felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, from then on I became a Smiths fan, my biggest regret was that I never actually got to see them play live but I wonder what would have happened had I not been at that mates place at that time etc.
It's because of Morrissey that I'm where I am now & I've had some brilliant times since I first got in to them. I even managed to get my picture in the Guardian because of them, hee-hee.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:27 am

I heard Morrissey being mentioned on VH1 and he just sounded so...beautiful. I didn't know what he would sound liek or anything but I just HAD to know so I found the Tomorrow video on the internet and had a obsessed longing to hear more. I fell absolutely in love and have been floating along in the same state ever since.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby weasey » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:03 pm

I first saw Morrissey only last year, although it seems like much longer than that. It was on Jonathan Ross, i'm sure i must have seem him before that but never really noticed. Unfortunately he was on last after Dale Winton and because programme became so poignant for me I can also remember everything Dale talked about.
When they showed the ridiculously tiny 'green room' at the start I remember thinking how odd Morrissey looked to me initally, especially his hair. He was sat as far up the sofa away from Dale as he possibly could....I don't blame him.
I found him quite strange and akward when he started talking, but he utterly captivated me. He went on to sing Every Day Is Like Sunday at the end, he sang it with such conviction that I was really touched by him and that was it.
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby elko » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:36 pm

That interview was them first time I saw Morrissey on telly actually, and thus opened up a huge aspect of his personailty that I'd never really got through music, or print. Was indeed a great interview, though Johnny never once mentioned The Smiths.
Last edited by elko on Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby helmoz » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:45 pm

ive never seen the jonathan ross interview, altho 2 of my mates saw it and said moz hardly talked, he just gave one-word answers. then one of them said he once had a dream that he was interviewing him and got him to talk loads, and he said "i know how to get morrissey to talk, get him really drunk" and the other said "yeah! i bet he'd be such a talker when hes mashed!" and they started talking about getting moz piddled and the first guy did an impression of him singing "this charming man" while drunk. <!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:52 pm

Hah!

I wish I had friends like that! (i.e. Ones tat 'precciate Moz)

Although I remember the interview being pretty ace.
elko
Site Admin

Postby rubygirl » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:20 am

Well, it's a bit funny actually...
The first time I saw Morrissey was in 1994 on VH1 - not a video or interview, but some footage of him - now I realize it must he been doing some promotion for the Vauxhall&I album, but then I didn't know English yet, so I understood nothig of what was being said, just watched.
I had never heard of him before and, to be honest, my first impression of just watching him was not positive at all, I though to myself, "What's this arrogant prick?He looks like an awful person to me". So this impression stayed for quite some time - I had serious reservations towards The Smiths because of him. But finally decided to see what they are all about...and got hooked almost immediately.
What's meant to be will always find a way, I suppose <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo-->
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mr-Shankly » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:22 pm

After various recommendations I 'legally' downloaded Meat is Murder. I just grew to like the music more and more from then on I suppose.

Not very exciting i'm afraid. <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

The Morrissey interview on Jonathan Ross was quite amusing as Mozzer never played into Ross's hands like his guests normally do.
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alex » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:18 pm

My (former) sister in law lent me Louder than Bombs. The best thing someone ever lent me <!--emo&;)-->Image<!--endemo--> I didn't like it all that much back then. Only a couple of songs, I think Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now was the first song I noticed. It stood out, the title itself says a lot on it's own. A couple of years later I heard How Soon is Now in a friend's car. I bought Louder than Bombs for myself, and I tried the other albums. That was three years ago, now I can't get enough. I wish I could meet that sister in law again to tell her what she's done for me. The split was quite sudden, I haven't spoken to her since then <!--emo&:(-->Image<!--endemo-->
Alex
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths