Are the Smiths actually depressing?

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Miserable Liar » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:23 pm

They're not depressing, they're fuckin' amazing!
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:44 pm

I find some songs depressing:

'if you're so funny , then why are you on your own tonight?
and if youre so clever, then why are you on your own tonight?
if you're so very entertaining, then why are you on your own tonight?
if you're so very entertaining, then why do you sleep alone tonight?'

I find bit rather depressing because it's a question I've never been able to answer, apart from admitting I'm none of these things. And If i'm none of these things, then i'm pretty crap. And no-one wants to be crap. I am always launched into one of my frequent depressions with this song.

But...

'Ask' can pull me out of the deepest depression. It makes me want to laugh and sing and dance in the street.

Ooh, ask me ask me ask me!

I think they can be depressing, but funny and deadly accurate and euphoric at times.
Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby the_queen_is_dead » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:06 pm

YES. rock on matt.

<!--emo&:lol:-->Image<!--endemo-->
I'm breaking through, I'm bending spoons
I'm keeping flowers in full bloom.
I'm looking for answers from the great beyond
the_queen_is_dead
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:01 pm

Hmmmmm.... Depressing??? F**K NO! They have never depressed me, I have gone through a lot of...traumatizing stuff in my life, and they are the one thing that makes me feel like its okay and I that there are other people out there who could kind of understand some of that stuff....you know? I personally love Asleep, its beautiful and I don't know what I would do without it. The Smiths don't pretend that everything is normal and love and good and okay all of the time, they are real, they are out there and they are really human.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby JaneSays » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:51 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-helmoz+Jan 5 2006, 10:28 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (helmoz @ Jan 5 2006, 10:28 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> <!--QuoteBegin-Sally Simpson+Jan 4 2006, 07:54 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sally Simpson @ Jan 4 2006, 07:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I can relate to the songs, which doesn´t make me depressed at all. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
exactly - i find songs i can relate to really uplifting, even if theyre sad, cos i just like the feeling when it's almost as if a song was written for me. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Yeh i agree, sad songs which i relate to, cheer me up.
JaneSays
Supreme

Postby Chorlton_Ruffian » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:56 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Pashernate_Lover+Jan 5 2006, 10:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pashernate_Lover @ Jan 5 2006, 10:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> I personally love Asleep, its beautiful and I don't know what I would do without it. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
Oh, it's beautiful. It's fantastic. But it's so sad. It's heart rendering.
<div align="center">Image</div>
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"I would rather eat my own testicles than reform The Smiths, and that's saying something for a vegetarian."<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
Chorlton_Ruffian
Supreme

Postby Alabaster Crashes Down » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:20 pm

Alabaster Crashes Down
Smiths Nut!

Postby rubygirl » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:08 am

Personally I don't find The Smiths depressing at all - quite the contrary actually, they are one of the chief 'factors' that can bring me up in my 'down' times - it's a strange feeling, I cannot really explain it, but somehow listening to their songs relieves my inner tension and makes me come to better terms with myself. With The Smiths being played around, even my darkest emotional states seem more bearable - <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

I do know that many people do find them depressing and whining, etc...but I think it's only the people who cannot really get into The Smiths...I guess you have to be a certain type of person to appreciate their appeal and really 'connect' to their music (and I am not saying 'better type of person', just specific type of person).

<a href='http://www.bbc.co.uk/manchester/music/2004/03/10/smiths_saved.shtml' target='_blank'>the smiths can save your life</a>
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby Alex » Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:45 pm

The depressiveness cheers me up, their songs make me feel a lot better.
Alex
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:06 pm

i was thinking today... maybe moz was poking a bit of fun at himself/his image in "heaven knows im miserable now"? he's known for liking/being influenced by '60s pop, and for being miserable, and the title combines the two (there was a '60s song called "heaven knows im missing him now"), but the song doesnt sound all that miserable.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby some_dizzy_whore_1804 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:24 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Alabaster Crashes Down+Jan 5 2006, 07:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alabaster Crashes Down @ Jan 5 2006, 07:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> 'if you're so funny , then why are you on your own tonight?
and if youre so clever, then why are you on your own tonight?
if you're so very entertaining, then why are you on your own tonight?
if you're so very entertaining, then why do you sleep alone tonight?'
<!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
those, and especially
"with your triumphs and your charms...
while, they're in eachother's arms"
are the most chilling lyrics i've ever heard, probably beacause it relates to everyone and the thought of that can hurt someone so much (if that made sense). I Know it's Over is probably my favourite song tho <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->

I was told they were depressing before i heard them, but to me so called depressing music is beautiful, and full of emotion

But they have a lot of upbeat songs, such as This Charming Man that could pull anyone out of a depression <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->

And now you know the truth about me, you won't see me anymore!
But i'm still fond of you...oh oh
some_dizzy_whore_1804
Supreme

Postby Miserable Liar » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:28 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-some_dizzy_whore_1804+Jan 31 2006, 03:24 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (some_dizzy_whore_1804 @ Jan 31 2006, 03:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> But they have a lot of upbeat songs, such as This Charming Man that could pull anyone out of a depression <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo--> <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
I agree!!!

Btw, that's a snazzy username you've got!
You're gonna kill me, is that your plan?
Miserable Liar
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:00 pm

I agree with John Cusack on the whole ordeal, because namely I don't think of the Smiths as pop music because they don't sing "oh baby, love love love" all the time... but anywhom,

John Cusack: "What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music? "

The Smiths are a powerful anti-depressant for me, plus the make Santa Cruz that much more beautiful to walk around in, I mean, imagine listening to Hatful of Hollow and seeing this: Image

Beautiful, isn't it? The soundtrack is key though <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> adds a bit of inner peace.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:19 pm

yeah, you get so many pop songs with "i need you, come back, baby" kind of lyrics (boybands, girlgroups, etc) - if the smiths lyrics are depressing, then "needy" lyrics that u get in (supposedly harmless) manufactured pop must be depressing too!
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby bernie brown » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:04 pm

You have all expressed it so well. I really connect with the emotions of the songs - both sound and lyric - it's a mystery to me how it's done but they did it beautifully. Their talent and gift to us for life. So heart-felt and full of yearning, loss, and desire. So honest, vulnerable, weak and human. Just the way the synth effects in 'There is a Light" rise and fall in partnership with the passion of the lyric..I'm there in that car, going under the bridge at night...the lights going past...

Depressing ? No no no... alive alive alive!!!
the only Smiths fan in the village
bernie brown
Advanced

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths