Are the Smiths actually depressing?

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby Rodchenko » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:23 pm

If feeling miserable there is no better cure than listening to Morrissey! he makes you feel like you're not alone... That's the beauty of the whole thing... If you don't get that, then you might just stick with techno or something equally mind-numbing...
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby Mozzerella » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:24 pm

I don't find them the least bit depressing. Sure there's certain sadness to Moz's lyrics but a lot of self-irony and humour too. And by the way, I've always liked melancholy music.
<a href='http://www.last.fm/user/Mozaic/?chartstyle=MeatisMurder' target='_blank'>Image</a>
Mozzerella
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:14 pm

Everyone's summed it up well. Now if the media/music journalists could grab hold of our list....
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Xuu » Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:25 am

i'd say "gorgeously sad", their music doesn't depress me, it makes me feel better. i think Morrissey is a sexy gorgeous man. :-) every line of his lyrics speaks to me, he's the man who bucks me up.
Xuu
Supreme

Postby Lazy Dyke » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:52 pm

Some of the subjects of Morrissey and The Smiths lyrics are quite dipressing/seriouse lyrics. My mum seems to have the same opinion that because of this the music is depressing/sad.
But whatever happened to "frankly, mr shankly?" and "some girls are bigger than others" fun to the point of hilarious songs.

Not to mention I wouldn't listen to them if they didn't make me feel good. Morrisseys voice is so haunting and yet so comforting, and at the same time the faster songs make me want to dance.

They're just like any other band, they can make a song that saddens you but they also make so many that make your day.
Lazy Dyke
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:02 pm

I wouldn't call them depressing, but then again I'm used to gloom: my favourite bands are Echo & The Bunnymen, The Smiths, Placebo, Silke Bischoff, Bauhaus ; not the most uplifting stuff for someone who doesn't look further than the surface.

However, being a depressive myself unfortunately, I find it easier to recognise myself in sad music, and it actually gives a good feeling. As if "you're not alone with your gloom", although I know it's a bit stupid it does make you feel less misunderstood sometimes to hear music that expresses what you feel yourself. Apart from that, I have always been into dark stuff, I think one needs to distance from the literate meaning and just see it as a work of art. Nothing depressing to it.

I do hear the remark "ooh, that's such depressing music" a lot though when telling people I listen to the Smiths.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Previous

Return to The Smiths