Manchester passion of Easter

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby elko » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:21 pm

Grim O'Grady wrote:<!--quoteo(post=23904:date=Apr 15 2006, 01:07 AM:name=elko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elko @ Apr 15 2006, 01:07 AM) [snapback]23904[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It was on BBC2, from 11-12 I think. Caught the end of one Smiths song ('Heaven Knows...'), and from then on it was utterly bizzarre, but strangely watchable. I always thought Robbie Williams was from Stoke, and I wish he was, if only so they didn't sing 'Angels'!

someone hasn't read page 1 of 2 eh?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->'You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side'. sung by Jesus
then songs by Oasis, Joy Division, M People then

'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now'. sung by Judus
then a James song (sung by Jesus - but the funny thing is Judus is played by Tim Booth)
then songs by M People, New Order, The Stone Roses, Robbie Williams (ffs who comes from Stoke not Manchester!), The Buzzcocks (instrumental only), Oasis, (then another instrumental can't work out the song/band though grr maybe Happy Mondays), Elkie Brooks.
finale is Jesus singing Stone Roses (again) from the top of Manchester Town Hall, rest of cast on stage (outside Town Hall) Robbie Williams (again). <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

love

Grim
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
:unsure:

Well, point proved then! He supports Port Vale ffs...
elko
Site Admin

Postby The Boy with a thorn in his side » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:01 pm

Grim, if you are looking to put this up on t'internet you could try using <a href="http://www.youtube.com" target="_blank">YouTube</a> or <a href="http://www.putfile.com" target="_blank">Putfile</a>
I would be very interested to see it, but only if you have a few moments to upload it
<a href="http://www.last.fm/user/edcallow/" target="_blank">.</a>
The Boy with a thorn in his side
Smiths Nut!

Postby weasey » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:34 pm

I agree with Elko, this was utterly bizzare. Tony Wilson and Tim Booth...I mean Judas stood next to a fish and chip van...Jesus in the back of a police van between Robbie Williams (looked more like Matt Lucas) and Liam Gallagher, Antony from Eastenders getting a bit unecessary when asked about some bloke he used to know.

I thought You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side was done very well as was Sit Down, but Tim Booth lumped for a more emotional and expressive rendition of 'Heaven Knows...' than a technically accurate one, a decision it suffered from. Perhaps they shouldn't have kept cutting to that annoying woman with the crucifix, although that was sort of made worth while thanks to the 7ft tall Scottish punk/Christian...
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby elko » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:49 pm

I must say, I didn't know it was Tim Booth, and therefore I didn't know it was a singer. My thought was 'I wish they'd got someone who can sing rather than someone who can act'. His attampt at falsetto was shocking.

Mind you, that fella who was on Eastenders singing Stone Roses was probably the highlight.
elko
Site Admin

Postby sonandheir » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:10 pm

<a href="http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HI9M695K" target="_blank">Click Here (Both Songs)</a>
<span style='color:blue'>"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi</span>
sonandheir
Supreme

Postby Sweet and Tender Hooligan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:16 pm

WOW!!! thanks so much m8 its weird yet amazing, so glad they did the morrissey song too.

i'm sad i missed it, do you think they will repeat it on channel 2?
I'm spellbound, but a woman divides
And the hills are alive with celibate cries
Sweet and Tender Hooligan
Supreme

Previous

Return to The Smiths