The Smiths/Morrissey related novels?

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby treefingers » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:13 am

So, what novels have you guys read that are related in some way (either a biography, or fiction..) to the Smiths or Morrissey? Were they any good?

I read "How Soon Is Never?" by Marc Spitz. I"m not sure if it's loosely based on his life or not, but it's just about a guy who was obsessed with the Smiths when they were together. It was good, I really enjoy it and I would reccomend it.

Also...has anyone here read "Saint Morrissey"? I kind of wanted to get it just for the cover, haha.
treefingers
Regular

Postby weasey » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:24 pm

I can definitely deter you from 'Morrissey, the scandal and the passion' by David Brett. Its so poor. Admittedly, it is probably similar in format to most Morrissey books. He has clearly done alot of research, gathering together every bit of press and then writing about it, but his commentary is terrible and there is nothing stopping a fan trawling through this information and coming to their own conclusions if they want to.

He doesn't really give any new insight or interesting opion, he only seems keen to hammer home the fact that Morrissey is gay or possibly gay. He is also obsessed with comparing him to a french chantuese (is that how you spell it?) torch singer anyway, one in particular I can't quite remember, but maybe someone else does?

What is more, the version I got out of the library was an updated version, he'd stuck an extra bit about Morrissey's 2004 activities on the end. Really cobbled together.

Anyway, thats just my honest opinion....
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby Rodchenko » Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:25 pm

I've read it twice, it was good... It's a psychobio apparently!
<!--fonto:Century Gothic--><span style="font-family:Century Gothic"><!--/fonto-->Are You Loathsome Tonight?
<!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Rodchenko
Smiths Nut!

Postby sonandheir » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:32 pm

I concur with weasey.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->He is also obsessed with comparing him to a french chantuese (is that how you spell it?) torch singer anyway, one in particular I can't quite remember, but maybe someone else does?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Barbara? What really got to me was the constant (and unnecessary) use of French. I mean, why French? Plus, like you say, he seems to have an unhealthy fixation on Moz's supposed homosexuality - which really does become tiresome after reading about it (in every chapter) for the umpteenth time.

Oh, and check the discography - he made the petty mistake in completely forgetting to list Vauxhall and I ... :rolleyes:
Last edited by sonandheir on Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<span style='color:blue'>"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi</span>
sonandheir
Supreme

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:53 pm

You do mean books on the Smiths and Morrissey, yeah? Non-fictional, I mean...

The one that seems to be recommended by many followers, is "Songs that saved your life". It is an interesting one indeed, as it tackles the Smiths' history song-per-song. Every song is being analysed (musically and lyrically) and there is an overview of gigs where it was played, albums it's on, ... In fact you could consider the book an analyse of the Smiths' discography rather than a continuous review of their career.

UK-based forum members may want to check out HMV, as the book seems to be in the bargain section currently for only 3 GBP. I am not sure if it is in all HMV branches in the UK, though the Northern Irish ones have it for 3 GBP currently.

There's also "Morrissey/Marr: the sacred alliance" which many critics and fans praised, but which Morrissey didn't like at all. I believe he even said the author should be killed for daring to publish it. Don't know why, apart from a few family pictures (which is understandable that ones doesn't like those appearing in the press) I didn't read anything shocking enough to justify such an anger about the book.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:50 pm

Rodchenko wrote:I've read it twice, it was good... It's a psychobio apparently!

you're talking about "saint morrissey", right? thats a great book, and it is described as a psycho-bio. i'd recommend it. i'd also recommend "songs that saved your life", "morrissey's manchester", and "morrissey and marr: the severed alliance."
the thing with "the severed alliance" is you wonder how much of it is actually true - theres mistakes in it like he gets some song titles and lyrics wrong, which makes you wonder if he gets obvious stuff like that wrong then what else has he got wrong? i sometimes wonder if he made some mistakes which are misleading and people think theyre fact and that affects what they think of moz, and maybe thats why he hates it so much.
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby treefingers » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:02 pm

B) thanks for your responses guys. next books i buy will probably be 'saint morrissey', since i haven't seen 'songs that saved your life' anywhere. i will probably order it then.
treefingers
Regular

Postby Qvist » Mon May 08, 2006 8:31 am

Norwegian author Frode Grytten has written a novel called Bikubesongar (Songs of the beehive), where The Smiths' music and lyrics figure prominently (he's a huge Smiths fan). The book has been highly succesful both with critics and the buying public, has won Norway's most prestigeous literary award and has also been turned into a theatre piece which has run to full houses in Oslo for more than two years I believe. The latter includes an onstage band who do Smiths songs as part of the performance.

<a href="http://www.morrissey-solo.com/news/1999/737.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.morrissey-solo.com/news/1999/737.shtml</a>
<a href="http://www.detnorsketeatret.no/netuser/repertoire/presentation.asp?pid=2" target="_blank">http://www.detnorsketeatret.no/netuser/rep...ation.asp?pid=2</a>

cheers
Qvist
Regular

Postby elko » Mon May 08, 2006 3:05 pm

Qvist wrote:Norwegian author Frode Grytten has written a novel called Bikubesongar (Songs of the beehive), where The Smiths' music and lyrics figure prominently (he's a huge Smiths fan). The book has been highly succesful both with critics and the buying public, has won Norway's most prestigeous literary award and has also been turned into a theatre piece which has run to full houses in Oslo for more than two years I believe. The latter includes an onstage band who do Smiths songs as part of the performance.

<a href="http://www.morrissey-solo.com/news/1999/737.shtml" target="_blank">http://www.morrissey-solo.com/news/1999/737.shtml</a>
<a href="http://www.detnorsketeatret.no/netuser/repertoire/presentation.asp?pid=2" target="_blank">http://www.detnorsketeatret.no/netuser/rep...ation.asp?pid=2</a>

cheers

And so raising the Smiths profile as well?

Any chance the book has been translated?
elko
Site Admin

Postby atomium » Thu May 18, 2006 9:47 am

"Syng Meg i søvn (Sing me to sleep)" by Frode Grytten, excellent piece of work. Working on a translation from Norwegian to English as we speak, so that all of you little charmers can read it and enjoy Gryttens' magic as well. :P
atomium
Supreme

Postby Kathleen » Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:04 am

Hm, well, I've read Saint Morrissey and enjoyed it. The constant lyrical references got a bit over-the-top at points, but otherwise the author was absolutely charming. I learned a lot about The Smiths / Morrissey as well.

Some fiction that incorporates The Smiths: Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland, Hairstyles of the Damned by Joe Meno, and The Perks of Being a Wallflower by someonesomething. I haven't read the first one, but the latter two are pretty mediocre and terrible, respectively.
<!--fonto:Georgia--><span style="font-family:Georgia"><!--/fonto--><!--coloro:black--><span style="color:black"><!--/coloro-->I hear that you're building your little house deep in the desert.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Kathleen

Postby kjt1981 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:45 pm

theres also one of those little "33 1/3" books on Meat Is Murder (go on Amazon and you'll find it). As i understand it its a kind of semi fictional biographical type deal. The authors experience of grwing up with the smiths. havnt read it but i keep meaning to.
kjt1981

Return to The Smiths