Most underrated Smiths song

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby elko » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:22 pm

Yeah, it not on the original (UK) release, but when the single became something of a success in the US it was added to the release over there. The WEA CD release for some reason went with the US tracklisting over the original one.

It fits in, in that it uses studio techniques in a similar way to MIM, whereas Hatful... is obviously pretty sparse for the most part. But the album seems to work better without it, and personally I think most albums are too long anyway. Forty minutes is plenty enough for me.
elko
Site Admin

Postby chrisarclark » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:03 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-elko+Aug 17 2005, 03:22 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (elko @ Aug 17 2005, 03:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> It fits in, in that it uses studio techniques in a similar way to MIM, whereas Hatful... is obviously pretty sparse for the most part. But the album seems to work better without it, and personally I think most albums are too long anyway. Forty minutes is plenty enough for me. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
yeah, if an album is too long it can really bring it down (thats a big reason why the compilations, Hatful Of Hollow, The World Won't Listen and especially Louder Than Bombs, dont work nearly as well the albums), but with Meat Is Murder still comes in under 50min and thats well within a proper/suitable range. when an album is less than 10 tracks and under 40min though it juste feels incomplete or missing something. without "How Soon Is Now?", the album lacks a proper pivot.

Southpaw Grammar is an album in Morrissey's solo career that suffers mightily from not so much a short running time, but a short tracklisting. ifeel the length of an album no so much in the overall running time but in the number of tracks- the number of stories. 10-14 is the best, easiest to swallow range and if we're talkin bout a pop or rock record 10-14 tracks will invariably end up in 35-65min and thats fine with me.
Last edited by chrisarclark on Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm just passing through here on my way to somewhere civilized and maybe I'll even arrive, maybe I'll even arrive..."
chrisarclark
Advanced

Postby Mr-Shankly » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:11 pm

Handsome Devil. I've always found it rather catchy.
Names, secret names. But never in my favour.
Mr-Shankly
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:59 am

<!--QuoteBegin-chrisarclark+Aug 16 2005, 09:17 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chrisarclark @ Aug 16 2005, 09:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->"Barbarism Begins At Home" ifind to be overrated by many.  its an exciting track and if it catches me in the right mood ill absolutely lov it, but it carries on far too long for its redundant nature.  and idont find the music backs up the seriousness of the lyric's subject (if you wish to take it seriously which ibelieve was the intention).  that bass line and guitar are pretty hammed up.  ifnid it to be one of the few Smiths songs you can definitely point at as being flawed.  once you get over that it can still be very enjoyable, but id never consider it amongst their best.

Aren't there 2 10' lenth songs on Southpaw Grammar? <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
This song used to be played in underground clubs, it was danceable song, and hence a perfect length in that capacity. It's the kind of song that sounds best in that type of atmosphere, loud and not sitting. I've always felt it was an underrated song, compounded by the fact that it is less favoured by the fans. Pity it's such a highly sought single because of its limited release, rather than because the song itself.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby tallulahtaurus » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:11 pm

Barbarism is a funky song and the lyrics and the music fit perfectly morrissey only says four lines the entire song....i find it so commendable that the smiths actually got into funk instead of just making songs that followed the same expected indie formula....I adore that song meself, well done to morrissey cos I can't imagine how hard it must have been to write any lyrics for such a diverse bit of music....

Girl Afraid is just the most adorable song...it deserves any and all attention it gets the guitar intro and the lyrics...the smiths were perfect on both fronts...

my great love will always be suffer little children and well i wonder too...superb and effortlessly moving stuff!!
<span style='color:purple'>Romantic and square is hip and aware - J.M.

Talent borrows genius steals

Gasping dying but somehow still alive this is the fierce last stand of all I am</span>
tallulahtaurus
Smiths Nut!

Postby WordsAsOldAsSin » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:40 pm

suffer little children is such a great song , i first heard it when i was visiting this hige cathedrial in france, it was really chilly and slighlty spooky and the song just completed the experience......... aww i love it <!--emo&:B-->Image<!--endemo-->
Love is Natural and Real
But not for such as you and I, my love
WordsAsOldAsSin
Supreme

Postby Truman Capote » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:13 pm

Southpaw Grammar was always an underrated album, I think we should talk about the overrated ones too.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Supermercado » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:30 am

Accept Yourself (as close to a motivational song as Morrissey has ever crafted)
Is It Really So Strange
Never Had No One Ever
Paint A Vulgar Picture (my favourite Smiths song..)
Supermercado

Postby elko » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:09 pm

Good choices, and welcome to the forum.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Boywiththethorninhisside » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:42 pm

Well I Wonder is simply beautiful, very melancholy and bittersweet.

As is Jeane. Even just me playing that to my friends on an acoustic guitar, the lyrics really caught their attention. Concise and yet very evocative.

Gotta love the song I named myself after on this forum too, one of the most uplifting tunes ever.
<!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->www.myspace.com/gesekki<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
Boywiththethorninhisside
Regular

Postby rubygirl » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:40 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Boywiththethorninhisside+Aug 24 2005, 04:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Boywiththethorninhisside @ Aug 24 2005, 04:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Well I Wonder is simply beautiful, very melancholy and bittersweet.

As is Jeane. Even just me playing that to my friends on an acoustic guitar, the lyrics really caught their attention. Concise and yet very evocative.

Gotta love the song I named myself after on this forum too, one of the most uplifting tunes ever.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I cannot but agree with you! <!--emo&:P-->Image<!--endemo-->
I even had an awful dispute with my mother one time - over The Boy With A Thorn In His Side; I am always eager to defend this song against any criticism, it's simply sweet IMO.
Color me red when I'm feeling blue.
rubygirl
Smiths Nut!

Postby helmoz » Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:12 pm

<!--QuoteBegin--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE </td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I even had an awful dispute with my mother one time - over The Boy With A Thorn In His Side; I am always eager to defend this song against any criticism, it's simply sweet IMO. <!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
i agree, it's such a sweet, innocent-sounding song! i love it! <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo-->
helmoz
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:18 am

Nowhere Fast is by far the bestestestest song ever!! But seriously, all Smiths songs are underrated because words just cannot do them justice and they aren't very well known. Well...they aren't very well known in California at least.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:06 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-Pashernate_Lover+Aug 29 2005, 04:18 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pashernate_Lover @ Aug 29 2005, 04:18 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin--> Nowhere Fast is by far the bestestestest song ever!! But seriously, all Smiths songs are underrated because words just cannot do them justice and they aren't very well known. Well...they aren't very well known in California at least. <!--QuoteEnd--> </td></tr></table><div class='postcolor'> <!--QuoteEEnd-->
pash, imagine how 'well known' they are in Kansas!!!

and, for the record, i've yet to meet anyone here with a dog named: Toto. <!--emo&:D-->Image<!--endemo-->
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:45 am

The only time I was ever in Kansas I was about 5 and we were passing through in an RV to see our relatives in Missourri and we broke down- then there was a tornado warning and we were stuck like sitting ducks. <!--emo&:)-->Image<!--endemo--> Aah Kansas...the memories.
A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

PreviousNext

Return to The Smiths