Smiths Indeed

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby weasey » Thu May 18, 2006 8:36 am

Some of you may already have heard about this, but Smiths Indeed, first published in 1986, was reissued recently.

It gives an insight in to Smithdom and the opinions and attitudes of fans towards the band at the time, things which can become hazy and rose tinted with the passing of time. It's quite trivial and immersed in the culture of the Smiths (kitchen sink dramas, Oscar Wilde et cetera).

I should probably warn you that it is very much a cut 'n' paste publication, but I think that is all part of it's charm. I bought the first three reissues which is why I am recommending them to you.

There is an interesting article about the history of this 'zine by the man who established it as a teenager, Mark Taylor, here:

<a href="http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1745619,00.html" target="_blank">http://arts.guardian.co.uk/features/story/0,,1745619,00.html</a>

Details of the fanzine and how to get hold of some reissues (I think some of the later ones are yet to be reissued) can be obtained by sending an email to Mark at this address:markfoodie@btinternet.com

Weasey
Last edited by weasey on Thu May 18, 2006 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby elko » Thu May 18, 2006 8:18 pm

Sounds interesting, I guess one or two people on here might have these already?

Anyway I've sent him an email, for some reason I've lost all my eloquence, but I mentioned this place, maybe he'll drop by with some more details.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Fri May 19, 2006 10:40 am

I've got a reply here ya go...

Hi,
Thanks for getting in touch.
Issues 1-6 are out now. They cost £19.10 including postage for all six issues.
Cheques payable to: M.Taylor, to be sent to: Smiths Indeed, PO Box 2618, Bristol, BS3 9BB.
Issues 7-12 will be out in late June.
Best wishes
Mark

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Fri May 19, 2006 9:33 pm

yep, I got a much similar email. May as well meet him, as he lives in Bristol.
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Fri May 19, 2006 9:37 pm

elko wrote:yep, I got a much similar email. May as well meet him, as he lives in Bristol.

at the very least you can save on postage eh? :D

I went looking for my fanzines today but couldn't find any, I'm sure I've got some S.I. amongst them all, now either they are hidden in the attic or that GU has stuck them in the shed!

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby weasey » Sun May 21, 2006 5:05 pm

I should probably add that you don't have to buy them altogether, you can get just one if you like, and they are priced thus:

Issues 1-6 will be reissued on April 4, followed by issues 7-12 on June 12.
You can pre-order issues 7-12 now.

Each issue, which will be individually numbered, costs £3.00 plus postage.

Postage rates are as follows:

POSTAGE: UK

One issue - 35p

Two issues - 50p

Three issues - 70p

Four issues - 85p

Five issues - 95p

Six issues - £1.10

POSTAGE: EUROPE (AIRMAIL)

One issue - 75p

Two issues - £1.10

Three issues - £1.45

Four issues - £1.95

Five issues - £2.40

Six issues - £3.00

POSTAGE: REST OF WORLD (AIRMAIL)

One issue - £1.50

Two issues - £1.70

Three issues - £2.00

Four issues - £2.40

Five issues - £2.80

Six issues - £3.30

Get yours while they're hot! (Anyone else already have any? They smell very strange don't they?)
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon May 22, 2006 11:21 am

I've just checked through my Smiths/Mozines & I've only got Smiths Indeed issues 8. 9. & 10. but they don't smell funny to me, a tad musty if anything but nothing to strange?
I've got issue 1. 2. & 4. of Sing Your Life fanzine, which is how David Tseng started off before creating Morrissey-solo website. Other 'zines I've got are Loved & Lost (part one) dunno if it ever made it to part two (anyone out there who has any info?). Another interesting (well to me anyway) is called It's Really Serious & is dated October '94. I've also got a lot of A Chance To Shine (but not issue one, anyone have a spare please?) the thing is I think I actually had a chat with Bruce unwittingly (who's fanzine it is) in Manchester outside the Opera house, I saw him waiting by the stage door after the soundcheck wanting autographs, he had a bag with ROTT lp in it but the bag said Edinburgh, so I asked him if he came from Edi as that's where I'm from, anyway he doesn't but they (him & his partner do live up this way) but not Edinburgh. Anyway he got all the band to sign his lp (except Morrissey) dunno if he's managed it since though?

love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Mon May 22, 2006 8:20 pm

I almost forgot about this. Sounds like he's got more copies to go around.
I got a reply too and remembered at the time I'd have to do the math, my first thought was that it seemed expensive. He apparently didn't have a quote for me in dollars. Thanks for breaking down those costs, Weasey. Interesting factoid there on David T, Grim.

Anyone have a scan of what the fanzine looks like?
Last edited by Still Ill on Mon May 22, 2006 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon May 22, 2006 10:01 pm

here ya go S.I.

Smiths Indeed 8 (Dandy Nichols cover - google ''Til Death Us Do Part')

Smiths Indeed 9 (Hattie Jaques cover Carry On films, Sykes etc)

Smiths Indeed 10 (not sure sorry)

Sing Your Life 1.

Sing Your Life 2.

A Chance To Shine 2.

A Chance To Shine 3.

It's Really Serious

Loved & Lost

love

Grim

eh? I've viewed it when it posted & some of the pics are ginormous, dunno how that's happened? Thing is the really big ones like issue 2 of 'Sing your life' is actually bigger than issue 1 in reality.
sorry

love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Tue May 23, 2006 12:05 am

Cheers Grim.

The 'Smiths Indeed' ones are by far the most stylish in my view, definitely in the classic Smiths cover tradition.
Last edited by elko on Tue May 23, 2006 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
elko
Site Admin

Postby weasey » Tue May 23, 2006 7:00 pm

The 10th Smiths Indeed looks like Albert Finney to me, but i can't be sure.

I didn't realise they went in to colour towards the later issues....I'll have to get some of those. Bear in mind Grim that the ones I have are reissues in new ink and on new paper and are bound to have a smell all of their own.

I agree with Elko, Smiths Indeed have more style...more flare. They are in line with the Smithsonian ideal of immersing one's self in your slightly kitsch, traditional British culture.
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed May 24, 2006 7:12 am

weasey wrote:The 10th Smiths Indeed looks like Albert Finney to me, but i can't be sure.

on further investigation it says 'Arthur' as cover star
weasey wrote:I didn't realise they went in to colour towards the later issues....I'll have to get some of those. Bear in mind Grim that the ones I have are reissues in new ink and on new paper and are bound to have a smell all of their own.

oh I didn't realise they are out already, I'd best get my order in, cheers!
weasey wrote:I agree with Elko, Smiths Indeed have more style...more flare. They are in line with the Smithsonian ideal of immersing one's self in your slightly kitsch, traditional British culture.

kitsch-wise yes they win hands down, and they retain that cut n paste feeling on the inside, whilst later ACTS & SYL seem a tad to organised & neat but are all great 'zines, whilst IRS & LAL you can still imagine the person sat at the typewriter with a scrapbook of pics with the scissors & glue just at the side.

love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby weasey » Wed May 24, 2006 8:16 am

weasey wrote:Issues 1-6 will be reissued on April 4, followed by issues 7-12 on June 12.
You can pre-order issues 7-12 now.

Later issues aren't available yet, but you should still be able to get the earlier ones. Reading them makes me wish I could send in my own contributions...this is the flaw of re-issues.
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed May 24, 2006 12:09 pm

well there's probably enough stuff on here to start up a 'Strangeways' fanzine, then you could not only contribute but be editor too eh? Or maybe even an annual, oh where am I going with this? hmmmmn?
:D

love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby weasey » Thu May 25, 2006 8:22 am

Well, thats not such a bad idea, I have edited the sixth form newspaper (ah...the heady heights of journalism) and I have a long and empty summer ahead of me, the first one void of school work or other such commitments, for quite some time, so I will no doubt need something to occupy my self.

I always get very frustrated when I have nothing to do, despite my best efforts just to sit back and enjoy it. I must work harder at being lazy. It would certainly be a cut 'n' paste effort, and more smithsy than Morrissey. I was thinking a retrospective issue of Smiths Indeed would be nice, because then I really would be contributing, but clearly, I would have to ask Mark Taylor about that.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->on further investigation it says 'Arthur' as cover star<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well, Arthur was the name of the character played by Albert Finney in Saturday Night and Sunday Morning...but I'm sure you already knew that.
Last edited by weasey on Thu May 25, 2006 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"EDUCATION IN REVERSE"
weasey
Supreme

Next

Return to The Smiths