Famous in ....Santiago?!

All about The Smiths' music, gigs, stories, anything.

Postby elko » Mon May 22, 2006 10:59 pm

According to Google results, anyway, most people who search for The Smiths are from....

<a href="http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22The+Smiths%22" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22The+Smiths%22</a>

:blink:
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Mon May 22, 2006 11:33 pm

aye but check out these positions...

6. Edinburgh United Kingdom

7. Los Angeles United States

woo!

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Tue May 23, 2006 12:10 am

Come on, that can't be true.
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby chicken » Tue May 23, 2006 12:50 am

Truman Capote wrote:Come on, that can't be true.

but the interwebnet nevar lies!!

i think that's very cool. the more from S.A., the better!
chicken
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Tue May 23, 2006 1:13 am

I don't know, but if you search for 'Ramones', you have Uruguay (my country) in the first place, and Uruguay has less than 3 million people... I mean... COME ON!

<a href="http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22Ramones%22&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all" target="_blank">http://www.google.com/trends?q=%22Ramones%...eo=all&date=all</a>
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby JaneSays » Tue May 23, 2006 4:37 am

I dont know about yours Truman but the ones I've searched for all seem pretty logical, what a cool feature!
JaneSays
Supreme

Postby Truman Capote » Tue May 23, 2006 6:52 pm

I insist... the interwebnet lies!
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby tca2005 » Tue May 23, 2006 9:03 pm

Moz is loved in Argentina, having spent a lot of my life (and having my "Singles" stolen) I can vouch for it.
Make no mistake my friend, your pointless life will end.
tca2005
Advanced

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed May 24, 2006 4:40 pm

Of course this can be true. South America has a very vibrant rock scene. I know a few South Americans and they are completely 'with it' when it comes to music, their record stores will sell all the good music that you find in Europe/Australia/USA. And they tend to be very devote as well.

You all know that I am a serious Echo & The Bunnymen addict... Well, the band is extremely popular in Brazil and Argentina (we have several South Americans on the EATB board) and every tour there sells out in 1 2 3. Not that everyone in Brazil is a Bunnymen fan or so, but they do have their core support, and they seem much more fanatic than the average European or American fan.

Santiago De Chile is a modern city where you find all quality music you need and have a vibrant club scene with alternative music whenever you want it. So why can't this be true?!

Also, nr of citizens doesn't say everything. If you have 100000 citizens only but 50000 of them are fanclub members of the same band, then it means that 50% of the entire population is into the band, which is maybe even more impressing than 1000000 American fans out of a population of 340000000.
In the same way, and this is a true statistic: one of the world's most succesful record labels is Greenlandic, as their albums sell approx 30000 pieces while there's only 55000 citizens: this means their releases are bought by over 50% of the population.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Truman Capote » Wed May 24, 2006 5:22 pm

I live in southamerica and I know how people feel about rock, pop and music in general. I am not saying that Moz is a completely unknown artist in Chile, I am just saying that he's more popular in England or in Argentina than he's in Chile.
In 2004, Morrissey went to Santiago (Chile) and Buenos Aires (Argentina)... just 15.000 people went to see the show in Chile. In Buenos Aires, Morrissey played in front of 50.000 people...
Truman Capote
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed May 24, 2006 8:53 pm

it's got to be a fix, I'm def with TC on this one. How was this conducted eh? Edinburgh is tiny in comparison to Los Angeles, I've not met one latino Moz fan from Edinburgh but I've met a few L.A. fans that have come over here for the tour, I've met a couple from Argentina as well & we've got our TC here. No disrespect to Chile but I've never met a Chilean Moz fan on tour, I've never met one in Edinburgh (or L.A. for that matter), we have no Chilean members here (I don't think anyway). So the evidence is plain to me to see eh?

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby elko » Wed May 24, 2006 9:15 pm

It is a huge, huge city though. And perhaps they are searching for "The Smiths" for a different reason? E.g. Some famous Chilean family?
elko
Site Admin

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed May 24, 2006 9:23 pm

elko wrote:It is a huge, huge city though. And perhaps they are searching for "The Smiths" for a different reason? E.g. Some famous Chilean family?

So Elks you are saying that if you look in the telephone directories of Edinburgh & Santiago for 'Smiths' then Santi wins eh? :blink:
Only a thought mate

love

Grim

Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby tca2005 » Wed May 24, 2006 9:46 pm

Well Chile is the most affluent country in Latin America, with very high internet connectivity - still, I always believed Argentina to be the number 1 Smiths/Moz loving country in South America, and the proportion of people with internet access is not much lower than in Chile (plus over double the population), so I am surprised by these stats I admit. to be honest I wouldn't expect Chile to be the highest in South america, and certainly in the world...let's be honest the bulk of smiths fans are in England with USA second...not wishing to show any disrespect to Chile at all here, it's a country I grealty admire and would love to visit.
Make no mistake my friend, your pointless life will end.
tca2005
Advanced

Postby elko » Wed May 24, 2006 10:03 pm

Grim O'Grady wrote:<!--quoteo(post=28189:date=May 24 2006, 10:15 PM:name=elko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(elko @ May 24 2006, 10:15 PM) [snapback]28189[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It is a huge, huge city though. And perhaps they are searching for "The Smiths" for a different reason? E.g. Some famous Chilean family?

So Elks you are saying that if you look in the telephone directories of Edinburgh & Santiago for 'Smiths' then Santi wins eh? :blink:
Only a thought mate

love

Grim
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I just thought that maybe Edwardo and Eva Smith were famous Santiago mass-murderers. Therefore concerned citizens of the city have good reason to be searching for "The Smiths". Unlikely, yet quite possible.
elko
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Smiths