[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Strangeways • View topic - The Damned

The Damned

All non-Smiths music chat goes here.

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue May 30, 2006 8:03 pm

Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky
(Echo & The Bunnymen - Evergreen, 1996)

Capital punishment = murder

THE PASSION OF LOVERS IS FOR DEATH (Bauhaus, 1983)
Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Tue May 30, 2006 8:44 pm

in reply (as a punk, well I was back in the 70's) I'd have to disagree with you on the Banshees front, Siouxsie was part of the original Sex Pistols followers at the time & only started a group because of them, so definately punk.

I saw the Damned loads of times but 'more talented' erm I think you've missed the ethos of punk, it wasn't about talent it was about being anti everything including talent, it was the anyone can do it & they did & they did it with fun.

They only released New Rose before the Pistols Anarchy because they signed to Stiff records, the Pistols wouldn't sign to them, they went for the big boys EMI so that's why they didn't get a record out until after the Damned. New Rose is class punk song but it wasn't Anarchy which was truly the first punk song, the Damned would never have done New Rose had they not seen the Pistols 1st.

You should read 'England's Dreaming' by Jon Savage it'll tell you all you need to know about Punk.

I still love the Damned well their early stuff, Punk yes! I can still see them covered in gob at the russell club.

love

Grim

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue May 30, 2006 8:57 pm

Siouxsie indeed came out of the Bromley Contingent and was a huge Sex Pistols fan, though her music evolved in a different direction after a while (though the first Banshees record was close to punk, it's undeniable I think though that she grew in a different direction as the true punk bands)

I would also not say that "Anarchy in the UK" was the first punk song. It may had a theme that leans closer to the true punk ideology, though New Rose did set the standard music-wise. If you ignore the somewhat pointless lyrics, the song is everything that is described as 'punk'.

You also hit the nail on the head with the statement that punk is not about talent necessarily, though I am no punk fan, I only care about The Damned really within this style (although a few Undertones and Clash songs are always welcomed as well, they won't keep me entranced for a whole record, unlike the Damned). That's a personal opinion, no statement on the basics of punk, but I do care about talent and I would dare to state that The Damned were the most diverse and interesting of the punk bands. Because they were more than punk, they also were gothic and sometimes even pop.

I am happy to admit though that I am biased because of Dave Vanian. He did raise my interest in the band, though I wouldn't have kept listening if I didn't really like what I heard.
Keep it flaming your desire, always rising higher - Aim for stars and hit the sky

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Grim O'Grady » Wed May 31, 2006 10:18 pm

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>"It was time to wise-up and get a haircut."</span>
Grim O'Grady
Smiths Nut!

Postby Still Ill » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:29 am

Still Ill
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:22 am

A note upon his desk
"P.S. Bring Me Home And Have Me!"
Leather elbows on a tweed coat
-Oh!-
Is THAT the best you can do ?
So came his reply :
"But on the desk is where I want you!"
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:58 pm

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:20 am

Wow... this post seems so long ago!! I didn't even remember it when I went out and found Machine Gun Etiquette- Melody Lee is my favorite on the album, though Smash It Up is definately 2nd.

I named my new laptop Captain Sensible :P
A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:41 pm

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:14 am

A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:49 pm

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:30 am

A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!

Postby Cracked Pleasures » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:19 pm

There is a book actually which is a fairytale with Rat Scabies as main character! I am unsure if he wrote it himself or not. Other band members are not involved as the book was written when he had already left the Damned after the arguements over loyalties.

Rat was a very good drummer - no doubts about that. And iconic and bizarre yes. An essential part of The Damned's history. Still, when you stab your bandmates in the back, you are kicked out of the band for a reason. I don't think they should ever allow him back on a stage with the rest of the band. Despite his credits for the band in the past ...

By the way: ALL band members have a bizarre angle, not? That was what The Damned were famous for in the beginning. Their singer was a vampirist, their drummer wore dead rats as earrings, their guitarist was a crossdressing clown... The band was about bizarrity. Which in a way is a shame as well as it distracted people from their excellent music. Lot of people don't take them seriously which is such a shame.
Last edited by Cracked Pleasures on Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cracked Pleasures
Smiths Nut!

Postby Pashernate_Lover » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:45 am

A note upon his desk
-Oh!-
So came his reply :
Pashernate_Lover
Smiths Nut!